Simple Steps to Feng Shui Decorating
- Feng Shui Bagua Map. The first step to incorporating feng shui decorating into your home is to have a basic understanding of the feng shui bagua map. Print out a map that corresponds with your home's foundational layout and you can work from there. You will also want to print a copy of an elements map, which can help with choosing the right colors and textures for decorating with an eye on balancing the elements.
- Light. Another key element in good feng shui is light. Light is energy so it is important that all of the rooms in your house are well lit in order to keep your interior space infused with energy. Overlighting or underlighting can create blockages and bad energy. Energy efficient full-spectrum light bulbs are the ideal lighting source if natural light isn't available. Crystals can also be used to help bring light into a space, or diffuse light into an area in which light sources are limited.
- Clean and declutter. Dirt, filth, and clutter are the enemy of good feng shui. In the tradition of feng shui, you can only be balanced in a clean and organized environment. Do all you can to keep clutter out of your living space. Buy organizers, build shelves, and train family members to pick up after themselves.
- Flow. It is important that energy - or chi, to be specific to feng shui vocabulary - can flow freely through your home. Furniture should be arranged in a way that doesn't obstruct or block the flow. So take a look at your furniture arrangement and see if there are areas that form obstructions or barriers. Rearrange to find a way that energy can flow freely while maintaining comfortable and cozy areas for relaxing or entertaining. Remember that windows, or doors that are directly opposite one another, can be a way for energy to be sucked out of the home. Placing a round table or a plant along the pathway can serve to slow down energy enough to allow it time to nourish your interior space.
- Colors, mirrors, and other features. Each of the elements - fire, water, metal, earth, wood - have specific colors and sentiments attached to them. Once you learn these, you can work with ways to decorate your home while balancing these elements and qualities.
So whether there's anything to it, that's really up to you as a matter of faith... but getting your home organized with nice light and decluttering is never a bad thing! Do you have any experience with feng shui? Let us know in the comments!